Ajna has just completed her 21 Day Meditation with Deepak Chopra and Oprah. It was a wonderful chance to reduce stress, quiet her thoughts, and improve her focus. She has committed to herself to continue the practice everyday and has decided to look for ways to practice some short meditation techniques in the office.
After a little research, Ajna found a couple of great tips she can use..
- You don’t need a lot of time to get some benefits from meditation: Even a few minutes of deep breathing can be helpful. Sit in your chair with your feet flat on the floor, your hands on your lap, and close your eyes. Take 3 deep breaths, inhaling deeply, exhaling slowly, and focusing on the breath. When you are done with the 3 breaths, slowly open your eyes. You’ll be surprised how much this little break helps you relax.
- Remind yourself to take a break. There is a great “break” tool that is free and you can set it up to remind you to stop for a minute and breath, take a walk, or stretch. The Mindfulness Bell can be set to ring several times a day. Ajna uses it to help her remember to take time for herself.
- Take a short walk around the building or down the hall: Getting up from your desk and putting your work aside is sometimes difficult. Get up from your desk for 5 or 10 minutes and take a walk. If possible, go outside in the sun and fresh air. You can do your breathing exercise or think about something that makes you feel good, but you can NOT think about work. Be aware of your surroundings. Try to find something beautiful during your walk. If you are walking down the gray industrial hallways of the office, meditate on a mantra or an inspirational phrase.
- Have a calming picture within reach: Ajna has an small picture of her favorite beach hanging on the wall of her office. It is the first thing she sees when she enters her office and it always makes her smile. When she finds it difficult to focus, she turns to her picture and focuses on the beach for a few minutes. She puts everything else out of her mind and imagine she can hear the waves, smell the ocean, and see the sunlight.
- Soothing sounds: Put on some really soft and soothing instrumental music to unwind after a stressful meeting. Ajna likes the music from Deepak Chopra’s meditation selections.
It really doesn’t take a lot of time to be in the moment. Ajna knows the work will be there when she comes back to it and taking a few minutes to step away from it will only help her do a better job. She is going to share these techniques with her team and encourage them to incorporate some of them into their daily routine.
Do you have any office meditation practices you do regularly? Please share them with Ajna and the community. We’d love to hear from you.
[credit name=”cnbattson” nurl=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnbattson/3092363276/” via=”photopin” vurl=”http://photopin.com” license=”cc” lurl=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/”]